Yoga techniques includes physical postures (asanas), breathing exercises (pranayama), and meditation. Even within the physical practice, yoga is unique because we connect the movement of the body and the fluctuations of the mind to the rhythm of our breath. Connecting the mind, body, and breath helps us to direct our attention inward. Through this process of inward attention, we learn to recognize our habitual thought patterns without labeling them, judging them, or trying to change them. We become more aware of our experiences from moment to moment.
Basic Yoga Rules:
1. A good night’s sleep is mandatory for good yoga practice.
2. Yoga should be practiced on an empty stomach or at least three hours after eating. It is preferable that the body be warm when performing yoga.
3. If you had food, wait for at least 3 hours before practicing.
4. Relax for 10 seconds at least after each yoga exercise.
5. Avoid excessive intake of tea or coffee when you are practicing yoga
6. Wear comfortable cotton clothes for practicing yoga.
7. Do not try to stand on your head or do other advanced poses within one month.
8. First begin with easy poses and thereafter you can advance to the tough ones.
9. Do not practice yoga on naked ground. Always use thin yoga mat or thick bed sheet for Yoga.
10. Before you start Yoga, you must clear your bowels and bladder. Clean your nostrils and throat of all mucus.
11. Woman should not practice yoga during menstruation.
12. Food can be taken after an hour of practicing yoga.
13. Morning is the best time to prepare for yoga and it is always better to practice yoga where there is abundant clean air.
14. Don’t do yoga twenty minutes before and after taking a shower as blood circulation could speed up after take a shower. It is better to take cold shower after practice it.
15. To get better results, earmark about 30 minutes to one hour daily for yoga practice.
16. The yoga asanas must always be approached with a peaceful state of mind.
17. Fill your mind with thoughts of peace and serenity; turn your thoughts inward and away from materialistic world.
18. While doing an asana, your breathing is very important. Follow the specific instructions for breathing if applicable for a given asana. Otherwise, practice normal breathing which must be rhythmic.
19. Maintain moderation in everything. Avoid eating too much, or too little. Do not sleep too much, or too little.
20. Keep harmony with the forces of nature.