Different parts of our brain are responsible for moving different body parts. The left side of the brain controls the movements of the right side of the body, and the right side of the brain controls the movements of the left side of the body. Mantra chanting is a way to develop a balance in our brain and body.
Say Om (Aum) chanting is a powerful way to reduce stress and strain in daily life. Our skeletal and autonomic nervous systems is having close relation to Mantra and Om chanting.
Mantra Chanting and our Chakras are closely related:
1. Muladhara: Earth element. It is centred at the lower base of the spine. Associated with the rectum, prostate, cervix and gonads. The main function of this energy centre is physical survival and groundedness.
Ungroundedness is its dysfunction.. The Bija mantra is Lam and the associated colour is red.
2. Svadhisthana: Water element. It is centred round the lower belly. Associated Adrenal glands. The main function of this centre is self-esteem, creativity(including rproduction) and personal secuality. It´s dysfunction manifests as ovr-attachment and low self-seteem. Can involve problems to do with fertility and premature ejaculation. The Bija mantra is Vam and the associated colour orange.
3. Manipura: Fire element. It is centred in the solar plexus and is associated with the digestive system including the pancreas. It has to do with the marriage of the male and female energies. Its functions are to do with personal power, and include the qualities of pride, confidence and achievement. The Bija mantra is Lam and the colour is yellow.
4. Anahata: Air element. Associated with the cardio-vascular system and the thymus gland(related to immunity). It is the bridge beween the lower three bodily and ´tribal´-related chakras and the upper three transpersonal ones. The main function is personal love of a higher nature than sex and it is the seat of love as an emotion and compassion. The Bij mantra is YAM. Anahat bridges the lower Self and the higher Self. The colour is green.
5. Vishudhi: Eather element. This chakra is associated with the respiratory system and metabolism, and thus involves the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Its main functions are the expression of emotion and will-power, but all forms of communication are connected to this chakra, with the associated qualities of clarity and sharing. The Bij manta is HAM, the colour is blue.
6. Third Eye: Consciousness is the element. It is centred behind the eyebrows and is associated with the ANS(Autonomic Nervous System, dealing with processed such as digestion wich are usually beyond volunty control) and the pituitary gland (the conductor of our hormanal system, which is the carrier of longer-lasting intructions to our body and emotions than the fast-acting nervous system). This is wehre gross and subtle, matter and mind meet and merge. It works closely with the seventh chakra to keep logic and intuition balanced. The mantra is SO (on the in-breath) and HAM(on th out-breath), the clour is indigo.